Thursday 8 August 2013

Bejeweled!

Project!

I told you all i love my new Pearl Lowe vintage crafts book, and i could not wait to recreate one of the beauties hidden in-between its covers, the project i chose was a lamp-making project using old pieces of jewellery- simple yet stunning, and as i am in desperate need of a gothy/vintage style light fitting, i thought why not give it a go (if it all went wrong at least i will have plenty of pretty necklaces out of the bargain!)



I began by scouring the charity shops and by own belongings for these jewels- and this is what i came up with- all of this plus four types of ribbon for only £13! 


I then took my existing light fitting and trimmed the rather ghastly rows of plastic circles off- this one has the small keyring hooks at the top which helped me to secure things in place, i also left a few of the more reasonable looking disks in place. I balanced the light fitting on a vase throughout the entire process to make it easier to work with. 


This is how it ended up looking


I the began adorning the frame with jewels, starting with the long pearls and then moving on to smaller items, being careful to maintain a balance of colour and weight (i feel this needs some more work) I secured the necklaces to the frame by tying bows with thin strands of ribbon- pretty and practical. 

This is how it turned out:




Fitted in place:





All in all i believe that this project has been thoroughly worthwhile and i enjoyed it immensely, i now have a gorgeous, unique light fitting for a bargain price- I hope i have inspired you to have a go at something similar yourself- it really is amazing what a bit of imagination can do!

Thankyou x




No comments:

Post a Comment